Reviewing Information and Books Received for Review
EMLS invites reviews of recent scholarly works--critical editions, commentaries, and theoretical, historical, literary, or interdisciplinary criticism which centres on sixteenth- or seventeenth-century English or related literary culture. We also encourage reports of all resources which are relevant to literary studies of the period, including those available exclusively in the electronic medium.
Our aim is to publish reviews of a consistently high standard, which are both engaging and critically fair, written by a broad range of people at different stages of their academic careers with varied disciplinary backgrounds.
Requests to review books listed below, or proposals for reviews of other new titles, together with a brief description of reviewers' academic qualifications, publications or research interests should be sent to the Review Editor at Review_Editor_EMLS@arts.ubc.ca.
Books Received as of April 28, 1995:
- Burns, Edward, ed. Reading Rochester. Liverpool: U of Liverpool P, 1995.
- Daniell, David. William Tyndale: A Biography. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 1994.
- Donne, John. The Variorum Edition of the Poetry of John Donne, Vol. 6: The Anniversaries and the Epicedes and Obsequies. Gary A. Stringer, gen. ed. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1994.
- Faussett, David. Writing the New World: Imaginary Voyages and Utopias of the Great Southern Land. Syracuse: Syracuse UP, 1993.
- Finucci, Valeria, and Regina Schwartz, eds. Desire in the Renaissance: Psychoanalysis and Literature. Princeton UP, 1994.
- de Foigny, Gabriel. The Southern Land, Known. Trans. and ed. David Fausett. Syracuse: Syracuse UP, 1993.
- Graham, Kenneth J.E. The Performance of Conviction: Plainness and Rhetoric in the Early English Renaissance. Ithana: Cornell UP, 1994.
- Sams, Eric. The Real Shakespeare: Retrieving the Early Years, 1564-1594. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 1995.
- Silberman, Lauren. Transforming Desire: Erotic Knowledge in Books III and IV of The Faerie Queene. Berkeley: U of California P, 1995.
(RGS, 12 December 1997)