Reviewing Information, Books Received for Review, and Forthcoming Reviews
Reviewing Information | Books Received for Review | Forthcoming Reviews
EMLS invites reviews of recent scholarly works--critical editions, commentaries, and theoretical, historical, literary, or interdisciplinary criticism which centres on sixteenth- or seventeenth-century English or related literary culture. We also encourage reports of all resources which are relevant to literary studies of the period, including those available exclusively in the electronic medium.
Our aim is to publish reviews of a consistently high standard, which are both engaging and critically fair, written by a broad range of people at different stages of their academic careers with varied disciplinary backgrounds.
Requests to review books listed below, or proposals for reviews of other new titles, together with a brief description of reviewers' academic qualifications, publications or research interests should be sent to the Review Editor at Review_Editor_EMLS@arts.ubc.ca.
Books Received as of August 31, 1995:
- Brink, Jean R., and William F. Gentrup, eds. Renaissance Culture in Context: Theory and Practice. Aldershot, UK: Scolar Press, 1993.
- Estrin, Barbara. Laura: Uncovering Gender and Genre in Wyatt, Donne, and Marvell. Durham: Duke UP, 1994.
- Graham, Kenneth J. E. The Performance of Conviction: Plainness and Rhetoric in the Early English Renaissance. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1994.
- More, Thomas. Utopia: Latin Text and English Translation. George M. Logan, Robert M. Adams, and Clarence H. Miller, eds. Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Murrin, Michael. History and Warfare in Renaissance Epic. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1994.
- Norland, Howard B. Drama in Early Tudor Britain, 1485-1558. Lincoln, NB: U of Nebraska P, 1995.
- Sams, Eric. The Real Shakespeare: Retrieving the Early Years, 1564-1594. New Haven: Yale UP, 1995.
- Warren, Austin. Becoming What One Is. Ann Arbor: U of Michigan P, 1995.
- Lauren Silberman. Transforming Desire: Erotic Knowledge in Books III and IV of The Faerie Queene. Berkeley: U of California P, 1995.
- Mindele Anne Treip. Allegorical Poetics and The Epic: the Renaissance Tradition to Paradise Lost. Lexington: U of Kentucky P, 1994.
- Jean H. Hagstrum. Esteem Enlivened by Desire: The Couple from Homer to Shakespeare. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1992.
- David Daniell. William Tyndale: A Biography. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 1994.
- David Fausset. Writing the New World: Imaginary Voyages and Utopias of the Great Southern Land. Syracuse: Syracuse UP, 1993.
- Edward Burns, ed. Reading Rochester. Liverpool: Liverpool UP, 1995.
- John Donne. The Variorum Edition of the Poetry of John Donne, Vol 6: The Anniversaries and the Epicedes and Obsequies. Gary A. Stringer gen. ed. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1994.
- Timothy Raylor. Cavaliers, Clubs, and Literary Culture: Sir John Mennes, James Smith, and the Order of the Fancy. Newark: U of Delaware P, 1994.
(RGS, rev. 14 February 1998)