Reviewing Information, Books Received for Review, and Forthcoming Reviews
EMLS invites reviews of recent scholarly works--critical editions, commentaries, and theoretical, historical, literary, or interdisciplinary criticism which centres on sixteenth- or seventeenth-century English or related literary culture. We also encourage reports of all resources which are relevant to literary studies of the period, including those available exclusively in the electronic medium.
Our aim is to publish reviews of a consistently high standard, which are both engaging and critically fair, written by a broad range of people at different stages of their academic careers with varied disciplinary backgrounds.
Requests to review books listed below, or proposals for reviews of other new titles, together with a brief description of reviewers' academic qualifications, publications or research interests should be sent to the Review Editor at Review_Editor_EMLS@arts.ubc.ca.
Books Received as of December 31, 1995:
- Bath, Michael. Speaking Pictures: English Emblem Books and Renaissance Culture. London: Longman, 1993.
- Estrin, Barbara. Laura: Uncovering Gender and Genre in Wyatt, Donne and Marvell. Durham, NC: Duke UP, 1994.
- Finucci, Valeria and Regina Schwartz, eds. Desire in the Renaissance: Psychoanalysis and Literature. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1994.
- MacCulloch, Diarmaid. The Reign of Henry VIII: Politics, Policy, and Piety. New York: St Martin's P, 1995.
- Marrotti, Arthur. Manuscript, Print, and the English Renaissance Lyric. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1995.
- Reynolds-Cornell, Regine, trans. and ed. Theatre Profanne: Marguerite of Angoleme, Duchess of Alencon and of Berri, Queen of Navarre. Ottawa: Dovehouse, 1992.
- Stanwood, Paul G. ed. Of Poetry and Politics: New Essays on Milton and his World. Binghamton, NY: Medieval and Renaissance Text Studies, 1995.
- Warren, Austin. Becoming What One Is. Ann Arbor: Michigan UP, 1995.
- Aston, Margaret. The King's Bedpost. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1994.
- Baumann, Uwe. Henry VIII in History, Historiography, and Literature. New York: Peter Lang, 1992.
- Brink, Jean R., and William F. Gentrup, eds. Renaissance Culture in Context: Theory and Practice. Aldershot, UK: Scolar P, 1993.
- Fausset, David. Writing the New World: Imaginary Voyages and Utopias of the Great Southern Land. Syracuse: Syracuse UP, 1993;
---. The Southern Land, Known. Ed. Fausset. Syracuse: Syracuse UP, 1993.
- Gregerson, Linda. The Reformation of the Subject: Spenser, Milton and the English Protestant Epic. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Hamlin, William. The Image of America in Montaigne, Spenser, and Shakespeare. New York: St Martin's, 1995.
- Sawday, Jonathan. The Body Emblazoned: Dissection and the Human Body in Renaissance Culture. London: Routledge, 1995.
- Recent Editions of Shakespeare.