Reviewing Information, Books Ordered for Review, and Forthcoming Reviews
Books Ordered for Review
EMLS invites reviews of recent scholarly works--critical editions, commentaries, and theoretical, historical, literary, or interdisciplinary criticism which centres on sixteenth- or seventeenth-century English or related literary culture. We also encourage reports of all resources which are relevant to literary studies of the period, including those available exclusively in the electronic medium.
Our aim is to publish reviews of a consistently high standard, which are both engaging and critically fair, written by a broad range of people at different stages of their academic careers with varied disciplinary backgrounds.
Requests to review books listed below, or proposals for reviews of other new titles, together with a brief description of reviewers' academic qualifications, publications or research interests should be sent to the Review Editor at Review_Editor_EMLS@arts.ubc.ca.
Books ordered for review as of August 1996:
- Bulman, James. Shakespeare, Theory and Performance. New York: Routledge, 1995.
- Donne, John. The Variorum Edition of the Poetry of John Donne, Vol. 8. The Epigrams, Epithalamions, Epitaphs, Inscriptions and Miscellaneous Poems. Gary A. Stringer gen. ed. William A. McClung volume commentary. Bloomington and Indianapolis: Indiana UP, 1995.
- Hamilton, Donna B., and Richard Strier, eds. Religion, Literature, and Politics in Post-Reformation England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Holmer, Joan Ozark. The Merchant of Venice: Choice, Hazard and Consequences. New York: St. Martin's P, 1995.
- Kernan, Alvin. Shakespeare the King's Playwright. New Haven: Yale UP, 1995.
- Orgel, Stephen. Impersonations. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Parker, Douglas, ed. A proper dyaloge betwene a Gentillman and an Husbandman. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- Parker, Patricia. Shakespeare from the Margins: Language, Culture, Context. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1996.
- Pritchard, R.E., ed. Lady Mary Wroth: Poems. Keele: Keele UP, 1996.
- Pugliatti, Paula. Shakespeare the Historian. New York: St. Martin's P, 1995.
- Rogers, John. The Matter of Revolution: Science, Poetry, and Politics in the Age of Milton. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1996.
- Smith, Peter J. Social Shakespeare: Aspects of Renaissance Dramaturgy and Contemporary Society. New York: St. Martin's P, 1995.
- Todd, Margo, ed. Reformation to Revolution: Politics and Religion in Early Modern England. New York: Routledge, 1994.
- Warren, Austin. Becoming What One Is. Ann Arbor: Michigan UP, 1995.
- Watkins, John. The Specter of Dido: Spenser and Virgilian Epic. New Haven: Yale UP, 1995.
- Wright, Stephanie J., ed. Elizabeth Cary: The Tragedy of Mariam, The Fair Queen of Jewry. Keele: Keele UP, 1996.
- Bennett, Susan. Performing Nostalgia: Shifting Shakespeare and the Contemporary Past. New York: Routledge, 1995.
- Breight, Curtis C. Surveillance, Militarism and Drama in the Elizabethan Era. New York: St. Martin's P, 1995.
- Breitenberg, Mark. Anxious Masculinity in Early Modern England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Burns, Edward, ed. Reading Rochester. New York: St. Martin's P, 1995.
- Bushnell, Rebecca W. A Culture of Teaching Early Modern Humanism in Theory and Practice. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1996.
- Cerasano, Susan and Marion Wynne-Davies, eds. Renaissance Drama by Women: Texts and Documents. New York: Routledge, 1995.
- Chedzoy, K., ed. Voicing Women: Gender and Sexuality in Early Modern Writing. Keele: Keele UP, 1996.
- Chernaik, Warren. Sexual Freedom in Restoration Literature. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Dutton, Richard. Ben Jonson: Criticism, Authority, Authorship. Macmillan, 1995.
- Dutton, Richard, ed. Jacobean Civic Pageants. Keele: Ryburn Renaissance Texts and Studies, Keele UP, 1995.
- Farago, Claire, ed. Reframing the Renaissance: Visual Culture in Europe and Latin America. 1450-1650. Yale: Yale UP, 1996.
- Fitter, Chris. Poetry, Space, Landscape: Toward a New Theory. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Gregerson, Linda. The Reformation of the Subject: Spenser, Milton, and the English Protestant Epic. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Hinds, Hilary. God's Englishwomen. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1996.
- Howarth, David. Images of Rule: A Social and Political Analysis of English Renaissance Art. New York: Macmillan, 1995.
- Jarvis, Simon. Scholars and Gentlemen: Shakespearean Textual Criticism and Representations of Scholarly Labour. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1995.
- Liebler, Naomi. Shakespeare's Festive Tragedy: The Ritual Foundations of Genre. New York: Routledge, 1995.
- Lindley, David. The Trials of Francis Howard. New York: Routledge, 1995.
- Luxon, Thomas. Literal Figures: Puritan Allegory and the Reformation Crisis in Representation. Chicago: U of Chigaco P, 1995.
- Maley, Willy. Edmund Spenser and Cultural Identity in Early Modern Ireland. New York: Macmillan, 1995.
- Marotti, Arthur. Manuscript, Print and the English Renaissance Lyric. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1995.
- Montrose, Louis. The Purpose of Playing: Shakespeare and the Cultural Politics of the Elizabethan Theatre. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1996.
- Parry, Graham. The Trophies of Time: English Antiquarians of the Seventeenth Century. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1996.
- Weimann, Robert. Authority and Representation in Early Modern Discourse. Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins UP, 1996.
- Wills, Garry. Witches and Jesuits: Shakespeare's Macbeth. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1995.
- Woudhuysen, Henry. Sir Philip Sidney and the Circulation of Manuscripts. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1996.
© 1996, R.G. Siemens (Editor, EMLS).
(September 4, 1996)