Reviewing Information, Books Received for Review, and Forthcoming Reviews
- Reviewing Information | Books Received for Review | Forthcoming Reviews -
EMLS invites reviews of recent scholarly works -- critical editions, commentaries, and theoretical, historical, literary, or interdisciplinary criticism which centres on sixteenth- or seventeenth-century English or related literary culture. We also encourage reports of all resources which are relevant to literary studies of the period, including those available exclusively in the electronic medium.
Our aim is to publish reviews of a consistently high standard, which are both engaging and critically fair, written by a broad range of people at different stages of their academic careers with varied disciplinary backgrounds.
Requests to Review
Requests to review books listed below, or proposals for reviews of other new titles, together with a brief description of reviewers' academic qualifications, publications or research interests should be sent to Lisa Hopkins, the Associate Editor (Reviews), at L.M.Hopkins@shu.ac.uk or by regular mail to the School of Cultural Studies, Sheffield Hallam University, Collegiate Crescent Campus, Sheffield, UK, S10 2BP.
Submission of Materials for Review
Materials for review may be sent to Lisa Hopkins, the Associate Editor (Reviews), at the above address. Please note that all unsolicited materials sent to EMLS for the purposes of review must be plainly marked with the word "Donation" on the front of the mailing cover.
Books Received for Review as of September 1997:
- Albanese, Denise. New Science, New World. Durham: Duke UP, 1996.
- Bath, Michael. Speaking Pictures: Emblem Books and Renaissance Culture. London: Longman, 1993.
- Benedict, Barbara M. Making the Modern Reader: Cultural Mediation in Early Modern Literary Anthologies. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1997.
- Biester, James. Lyric Wonder: Rhetoric and Wit in Renaissance English Poetry. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1997.
- Bishop, T.G. Shakespeare and the Theatre of Wonder. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Blank, Paula. Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Breight, Curtis C. Surveillance, Militarism and Drama in the Elizabethan Era. New York: St Martin's P, 1995.
- Bulman, James. Shakespeare, Theory and Performance. London: Routledge, 1995.
- Cable, Lana. Carnal Rhetoric: Milton's Iconoclasm and the Poetics of Desire. Durham: Duke UP, 1995.
- Cereta, Laura. Collected Letters of a Renaissance Feminist. Ed. Diana Robin. Trans. Diana Robin. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1997.
- Comensoli, Viviana. Household Business: Domestic Plays of Early Modern England. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- Cox, John D., and David Scott Kastan, eds. A New History of Early English Drama. New York: Columbia UP, 1997.
- Cressy, David. Birth, Marriage and Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life-Cycle in Tudor and Stuart England. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1997.
- De Grazia, Margeta, Maureen Quilligan, and Peter Stallybrass, eds. Subject and Object in Renaissance Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Diehl, Huston. Staging Reform, Reforming the Stage. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1997.
- Doerksen, Daniel W. Conforming to the Word: Herbert, Donne and the English Church before Laud. Cranbury, NJ: Bucknell UP, 1997.
- Edwards, Philip. Sea-Mark: The Metaphorical Voyage from Spenser to Milton. Liverpool: Liverpool UP, 1997.
- Erickson, Wayne. Mapping The Faerie Queene: Quest Structures and the World of the Poem. New York: Garland, 1996.
- Fanshawe, Richard. The Poems and Translations of Sir Richard Fanshawe. Vol. 1. Ed. Peter Davidson. Oxford: Clarendon P, 1997.
- Fonte, Moderata (Modesta Pozzo). The Worth of Women. Ed. Virginia Cox. Trans. Virginia Cox. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1997.
- Garin, Eugenio, ed. Renaissance Characters. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1997.
- Halpern, Richard. Shakespeare Among the Moderns. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1997.
- Harvey, P.D.A. Mappa Mundi: The Hereford World Map. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- James, Tracy. Erasmus of the Low Countries. Berkely: U of California P, 1996.
- Jardine, Lisa. Reading Shakespeare Historically. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Jehlan, Myra and Michael Warner, eds. The English Literatures of America. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Keyishian, Harry. The Shape of Revenge: Victimization, and Vengeance, and Vindictiveness in Shakespeare. Atlantic Highlands, NJ: Humanities P, 1995.
- Maquerlot, Jean-Pierre. Shakespeare and the Mannerist Tradition: A Reading of Five Problem Plays. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Meagher, John C. Shakespeare's Shakespeare: How the Plays were Made. New York: Continuum Books, 1997.
- Owens, W.R. and Lizbeth Goodman, eds. Shakespeare, Aphra Bhen and the Canon. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Parker, Douglas, ed. A Proper Dyaloge betwene a Gentillman and an Husbandman. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- Pask, Kevin. The Emergence of the English Author: Scripting the Life of the Poet in Early Modern England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Platt, Peter G. Reason Diminished: Shakespeare and the Marvelous. Lincoln: U of Nebraska P, 1997.
- Purkiss, Diane. The Witch in History. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Raymond, Joad. The Invention of the Newspaper: English Newsbooks 1641-1649. Oxford: Clarendon P, 1996.
- Shuger, Debora Kuller. Habits of Thought in the English Renaissance. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1997.
- Stewart, Alan. Close Readers: Humanism and Sodomy in Early Modern England. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1997.
- Traub, Valerie, M. Lindsay Kaplan, and Dympna Callaghan, eds. Feminist Readings of Early Modern Culture: Emerging Subjects. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Wilcox, Helen, ed. Women and Literature in Britian: 1500-1700. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Yachnin, Paul. Stage-Wrights: Shakespeare, Jonson, Middleton, and the Making of Theatrical Value. Philadelphia: U of Pennsylvania P, 1997.
- Alexander, Robert J., ed. Somerset. Records of Early English Drama. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- Burns, Edward, ed. Reading Rochester. Liverpool: Liverpool UP, 1996.
- Donne, John. Variorum Edition of the Poetry of John Donne. Vol 8. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1995.
- Erickson, Wayne. Mapping the Fairie Queene: Quest Structures and the World of the Poem. New York: Garland, 1996.
- Farago, Claire, ed. Reframing the Renaissance: Visual Culture in Europe and Latin America. 1450-1650. Yale: Yale UP, 1996.
- Green, Ian. The Christian's ABC. Oxford: Oxford UP 1996.
- Gregerson, Linda. The Reformation of the Subject: Spenser, Milton, and the English Protestant Epic. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Grell, Ole Peter and Andrew Cunningham, eds. Religio Medici: Medicine and Religion in Seventeenth-Century England. Brookfield, VT: Scolar, 1996.
- Hamilton, Donna B. and Richard Strier, eds. Religion, Literature and Politics in Post Reformation England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Joughin, John, ed. Shakespeare and National Culture. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1997.
- Maquerlot, Jean-Pierre and Michelle Willems, eds. Travel & Drama in Shakespeare's Time. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Marotti, Arthur. Manuscript, Print and the English Renaissance Lyric. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1995.
- McEachern, Claire. The Poetics of English Nationhood: 1590-1612. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- McRae, Andrew. God Speed the Plough: The Representation of Agrarian England 1500-1660. Cambridge: Cambridge UP 1996.
- Peacock, John. Stage Designs of Inigo Jones. Cambridge: Cambridge UP 1996.
- Pugliatti, Paula. Shakespeare the Historian. New York: St. Martin's P,1995.
- Thompson, Ann and Sasha Roberts, eds. Women Reading Shakespeare, 1600-1900: An Anthology of Criticism. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1997.
- Todd, Margo, ed. Reformation to Revolution: Politics and Religion in Early Modern England. London: Routledge, 1994.
- Woudhuysen, Henry. Sir Philip Sidney and the Circulation of Manuscripts 1558-1640. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1996.
© 1997-, R.G. Siemens (Editor, EMLS).
(PB, LH, RGS, 17 September 1997)