Reviewing Information, Books Received for Review, and Forthcoming Reviews
- Reviewing Information | Books Received for Review | Forthcoming Reviews -
EMLS invites reviews of recent scholarly works -- critical editions, commentaries, and theoretical, historical, literary, or interdisciplinary criticism which centres on sixteenth- or seventeenth-century English or related literary culture. We also encourage reports of all resources which are relevant to literary studies of the period, including those available exclusively in the electronic medium.
Our aim is to publish reviews of a consistently high standard, which are both engaging and critically fair, written by a broad range of people at different stages of their academic careers with varied disciplinary backgrounds.
Requests to Review
Requests to review books listed below, or proposals for reviews of other new titles, together with a brief description of reviewers' academic qualifications, publications or research interests should be sent to Lisa Hopkins, the Associate Editor (Reviews), at L.M.Hopkins@shu.ac.uk or by regular mail to the School of Cultural Studies, Sheffield Hallam University, Collegiate Crescent Campus, Sheffield, UK, S10 2BP.
Submission of Materials for Review
Materials for review may be sent to Lisa Hopkins, the Associate Editor (Reviews), at the above address. Please note that all unsolicited materials sent to EMLS for the purposes of review must be plainly marked with the word "Donation" on the front of the mailing cover.
Books Received for Review as of January 1998:
- Barnes, Elizabeth. States of Sympathy: Seduction and Democracy in the American Novel. New York: Columbia UP, 1997.
- Beal, Peter, and Jeremy Griffiths, ed. English Manuscript Studies 1100-1700. (Vol. 6) London: The British Library, 1997.
- Benedict, Barbara M. Making the Modern Reader: Cultural Mediation in Early Modern Literary Anthologies. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1997.
- Biester, James. Lyric Wonder: Rhetoric and Wit in Renaissance English Poetry. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1997.
- Bishop, T.G. Shakespeare and the Theatre of Wonder. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Brown, Cedric C., and Arthur F. Marotti. Texts and Cultural Change in Early Modern England. Basingstoke: Macmillan, 1997.
- Bulman, James. Shakespeare: Theory and Performance. London: Routledge, 1995.
- Cable, Lana. Carnal Rhetoric: Milton's Iconoclasm and the Poetics of Desire. Durham: Duke UP, 1995.
- Cook, Patrick J. Milton, Spenser and the Epic Tradition. Aldershot: Scolar P, 1996.
- Cox, John D., and David Scott Kastan, eds. A New History of Early English Drama. New York: Columbia UP, 1997.
- Cressy, David. Birth, Marriage and Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life-Cycle in Tudor and Stuart England. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1997.
- Davis, Philip. Sudden Shakespeare: The Shaping of Shakespeare's Creative Thought. London: Athlone P, 1996.
- De Grazia, Margreta, Maureen Quilligan, and Peter Stallybrass, eds. Subject and Object in Renaissance Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Diehl, Huston. Staging Reform, Reforming the Stage. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1997.
- Erickson, Wayne. Mapping The Faerie Queene: Quest Structures and the World of the Poem. New York: Garland, 1996.
- Fanshawe, Richard. The Poems and Translations of Sir Richard Fanshawe. Vol. 1. Ed. Peter Davidson. Oxford: Clarendon P, 1997.
- Fowler, Elizabeth and Roland Greene, eds. The Project of Prose in Early Modern Europe and the New World. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Fonte, Moderata (Modesta Pozzo) The Worth of Women. Ed. Virginia Cox. Trans. Virginia Cox. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1997.
- Garin, Eugenio, ed. Renaissance Characters. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1997.
- Halpern, Richard. Shakespeare Among the Moderns. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1997.
- Henke, Robert. Pastoral Transformations: Italian Tragicomedy and Shakespeare's Late Plays. Newark: U of Delaware P, 1997.
- Hillman, Richard. Self-Speaking in Medieval and Early Modern English Drama. Basingstoke: Macmillan, 1997.
- Holland, Peter. English Shakespeares: Shakespeare on the English Stage in the 1990s. Cambridge: CUP, 1997.
- James, Heather. Shakespeare's Troy: Drama, Politics, and the Translation of Empire. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Jehlan, Myra and Michael Warner, eds. The English Literatures of America. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Kamps, Ivo. Historiography and Ideology in Stuart Drama. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Lieb, Michael. The Sinews of Ulysses: Form and Convention in Milton's Works. Pittsburgh: Duquesne UP, 1989.
- Lucking, David. Plays Upon the Word: Shakespeare's Drama of Language. Lecce: Edizioni Milella, 1997.
- Maquerlot, Jean-Pierre. Shakespeare and the Mannerist Tradition: A Reading of Five Problem Plays. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Martin, Christopher. Policy in Love: Lyric and Public in Ovid, Petrarch and Shakespeare. Pittsburgh: Duquesne UP, 1994.
- Meagher, John C. Shakespeare's Shakespeare: How the Plays were Made. New York: Continuum Books, 1997.
- Ogden, James, and Arthur H. Scouten, eds. Lear from Study to Stage: Essays in Criticism. Cranbury: Associated UP, 1997.
- Parker, Douglas, ed. A Proper Dyaloge betwene a Gentillman and an Husbandman. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- Perry, Curtis. The Making of Jacobean Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Platt, Peter G. Reason Diminished: Shakespeare and the Marvellous. Lincoln: U of Nebraska P, 1997.
- Purkiss, Diane. The Witch in History. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Raymond, Joad. The Invention of the Newspaper: English Newsbooks 1641-1649. Oxford: Clarendon P, 1996.
- Reiss, Timothy. Knowledge, Discovery and Imagination in Early Modern Europe. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Riddell, James A. and Stanley Stewart. Jonson's Spenser: Evidence and Historical Criticism. Pittsburgh: Duquesne UP, 1995.
- Rumrich, John. Milton Unbound: Controversy and Reinterpration. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Stewart, Alan. Close Readers: Humanism and Sodomy in Early Modern England. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1997.
- Traub, Valerie, M. Lindsay Kaplan, and Dympna Callaghan, eds. Feminist Readings of Early Modern Culture: Emerging Subjects. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Walton Williams, George. Shakespeare's Speech Headings. Newark: U of Delaware P, 1997.
- Wilcox, Helen, ed. Women and Literature in Britain 1500-1700. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Williams, Gordon. Shakespeare, Sex and the Print Revolution. Atlantic Highlands: Athlone P, 1996.
- Worthen, W.B. Shakespeare and the Authority of Performance. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Wright, C.J., ed. Sir Robert Cotton as Collector. London: The British Library, 1997.
- Yachnin, Paul. Stage-Wrights: Shakespeare, Jonson, Middleton, and the Making of Theatrical Value. Philadelphia: U of Pennsylvania P, 1997.
- Albanese, Denise. New Science, New World. Durham: Duke UP, 1996.
- Alexander, Robert J., ed. Somerset. Records of Early English Drama. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- The Arden Shakespeare CD-ROM: Texts and Sources for Shakespeare Studies. Walton-on-Thames: Arden Shakespeare, 1997.
- Bath, Michael. Speaking Pictures: Emblem Books and Renaissance Culture. London: Longman, 1993.
- Blank, Paula. Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings. London and New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Breight, Curtis. Surveillance, Militarism and Drama in the Elizabethan Era. New York: St Martin's P, 1995.
- Burns, Edward. Reading Rochester. Liverpool: Liverpool UP, 1996.
- Cavendish, William. Dramatic Works by William Cavendish. Oxford: The Malone Society, 1996.
- Cereta, Laura. Collected Letters of a Renaissance Feminist. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1997.
- Comensoli, Viviana. Household Business: Domestic Plays of Early Modern England. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- CD Roms of Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet
- Doerksen, Daniel. Conforming to the Word: Herbert, Donne and the English Church before Laud. Cranbury, N.J.: Bucknell UP, 1997.
- Farago, Claire, ed. Reframing the Renaissance: Visual Culture in Europe and Latin America 1450-1650. Yale: Yale UP, 1996.
- Grantley, Daryll and Peter Roberts. Christopher Marlowe and English Renaissance Culture. Aldershot: Scolar P, 1996.
- Gregerson, Linda. The Reformation of the Subject: Spenser, Milton, and the English Protestant Epic. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Grell, Ole Peter and Andrew Cunningham. Religio Medici: Medicine and Religion in Seventeenth-Century England. Aldershot: Scolar P, 1996.
- Hamilton, Donna B. and Richard Strier, eds. Religion, Literature and Politics in Post-Reformation England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Harvey, P.D.A. Mappa Mundi: The Hereford World Map. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1996.
- Hillman, David and Carla Mazzio. The Body in Parts: Fantasies of Corporeality in Early Modern Europe. London and New York: Routledge, 1997.
- Jardine, Lisa. Reading Shakespeare Historically. London and New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Kelsey McColley, Diane. Poetry and Music in Seventeenth-Century England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- Maquerlot, Jean-Pierre and Michele Willems, eds. Travel and Drama in Shakespeare's Time. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1995.
- Marotti, Arthur. Manuscript, Print and the English Renaissance Lyric. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1995.
- Masten, Jeffrey. Textual Intercourse: Collaboration, Authorship, and Sexualities in Renaissance Drama. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997.
- MacCulloch, Diarmaid. Thomas Cranmer. Yale: Yale UP, 1996.
- McEachern, Claire. The Poetics of English Nationhood 1590-1612. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- McRae, Andrew. God Speed the Plough: The Representation of Agrarian England 1500-1660. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Meagher, John C. Shakespeare's Shakespeare: How the Plays were Made. New York: Continuum Books, 1997.
- Moore, Lisa M. Dangerous Intimacies: Toward a Sapphic History of the British Novel. Durham: Duke UP, 1997.
- Mucciolo, John M. Shakespeare's Universe: Renaissance Ideas and Conventions: Essays in Honour of W.R. Elton. Aldershot: Scolar P, 1996.
- Pask, Kevin. The Emergence of the English Author: Scripting the Life of the Poet in Early Modern England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Shuger, Debora Kuller. Habits of Thought in the English Renaissance. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1997.
- Tebeaux, Elizabeth. The Emergence of a Tradition: Technical Writing in the English Renaissance, 1475-1640. Amityville, N.Y.: Baywood, 1997.
- Thompson, Ann and Sasha Roberts, eds. Women Reading Shakespeare, 1600-1900: An Anthology of Criticism. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1997.
- Thompson, Craig R. Trans. The Colloquies of Erasmus. Berkeley: U of California P, 1996.
- Tracy, James D. Erasmus of the Low Countries. Berkeley: U of California P, 1996.
- Vendler, Helen. The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets. Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 1996.
- Woudhuysen, Henry. Sir Philip Sidney and the Circulation of Manuscripts 1558-1640. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1996.
© 1998-, R.G. Siemens (Editor, EMLS).
(LH, LB, RGS, 28 January 1998)