Reviewing Information, Books Received for Review, and Forthcoming Reviews
- Reviewing Information | Books Received for Review | Forthcoming Reviews -
EMLS invites reviews of recent scholarly works -- critical editions, commentaries, and theoretical, historical, literary, or interdisciplinary criticism which centres on sixteenth- or seventeenth-century English or related literary culture. We also encourage reports of all resources which are relevant to literary studies of the period, including those available exclusively in the electronic medium.
Our aim is to publish reviews of a consistently high standard, which are both engaging and critically fair, written by a broad range of people at different stages of their academic careers with varied disciplinary backgrounds.
Requests to Review
Requests to review books listed below, or proposals for reviews of other new titles, together with a brief description of reviewers' academic qualifications, publications or research interests should be sent to James Doelman, the Associate Editor (Reviews), at email@example.com or by regular mail to Brescia College, 1285 Western Road, London, Ontario, Canada N6G 1H2.
Submission of Materials for Review
Materials for review may be sent to James Doelman, the Associate Editor (Reviews), at the above address. Please note that all unsolicited materials sent to EMLS for the purposes of review must be plainly marked with the word "Donation" on the front of the mailing cover.
Books Received for Review as of September 2003:
Received for Review as of September 2003:
- Forthcoming Reviews:
- Armitage, David. The Ideological Origins of the British Empire. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000.
- Brooks, Douglas A. From Playhouse to Printing House: Drama and Authorship in Early Modern England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000..
- Brown-Grant, Rosalind. Christine de Pizan and the Moral Defence of Women: Reading Beyond Gender. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000.
- Corns, Thomas, ed. Cambridge Companion to Milton. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2002.
- Dawson, Anthony B., and Paul Yachnin. The Culture of Playgoing in Shakespeare's England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2001.
- De Grazia, Margreta and Stanley Wells, eds, The Cambridge Companion to Shakespeare. Cambridge: Cambrudge UP, 2001.
- Edwards, David L. John Donne: Man of Flesh and Spirit. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2001.
- Fisk, Deborah Payne. The Cambridge Companion to English Restoration Theatre. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000.
- Fitzpatrick, Joan. Irish Demons: English Writings on Ireland, the Irish and Gender by Spenser and his Contemporaries. Lanham, MD: UP of America, 2001.
- Forsyth, Neil. The Satanic Epic. Princeton: Princeton UP, 2003.
- Garber, Marjorie. Coming of Age in Shakespeare. London: Routledge, 1997.
- Hanafi, Zakiya. The Monster in the Machine. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 2000.
- Innes, Paul. Shakespeare and the English Renaissance Sonnet. Basingstoke: Macmillan, 1997.
- Jackson, Russell. The Cambridge Companion to Shakespeare on Film. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000.
- Kerrigan, William. Shakespeare's Promises. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 1999.
- Leinwand, Theodore B. Theatre, Finace and Society in Early Modern England. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1999.
- Lewalski, Barbara K. The Life of John Milton. Oxford: Blackwell, 2000.
- Lyly, John. Sapho and Phao. Malone Society Reprints, vol. 165. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2002.
- Matar, Nabil. Turks, Moors and Englishmen in the Age of Discovery. New York: Columbia UP, 1999.
- Matar, Nabil and Daniel Vitkus. Piracy, Slavery and redemption: Barbary captivity narratives. New York: Columbia UP, 2001.
- Miller, Anthony. Roman Triumphs and Early Modern English Culture. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2001.
- Palmer, Patricia. Language and Conquest in Early Modern Ireland: English Renaissance Literature and Elizabethan Imperial Expansion. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2001.
- Post, Jonathan F. S. English Lyric Poetry: The Early Seventeenth Century. . London: Routledge, 2002 (paper).
- Post, Jonathan F. S., ed. Green Thoughts, Green Shades: Essays by Contemporary Poets on the Early Modern Lyric. Berkeley: U of California P, 2002.
- Potter, Lois, ed. Playing Robin Hood: The Legend as Performance in Five Centuries. Newark: U of Delaware P, 1998.
- Sharp, Jane. The Midwives Book or the Whole Art of Midwifry Discovered. Ed. Elaine Hobby. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1999.
- Shoulson, Jeffrey S. Milton and the Rabbis: Hebraism, Hellenism, and Christianity. New York: Columbia UP, 2001.
- Sullivan, Ceri. The Rhetoric of Credit: Merchants in Early Modern Writing. Cranbury, N.J.: Associated UP, 2002.
- Weimann, Robert. Author's Pen and Actor's Voice: Playing and Writing in Shakespeare's Theatre. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000.
- Wells, Robin Headlam, Glenn Burgess and Rowland Wymer, eds, Neo-Historicism: Studies in Renaissance Literature, History and Politics. Woodbridge: D. S. Brewer, 2000.
- Wilson, Luke. Theaters of Intention: Drama and the Law in Early Modern England. Stanford: Stanford UP, 2000.
© 2004-, Matthew Steggle (Editor, EMLS).