For learners

Meeting Individual Needs

If you have (or think you may have) a disability and are considering applying to study a course in Higher Education(HE), such as a degree, foundation degree or HND, it is important that you find out about the support available to you as soon as possible, as this may influence what type of course and where you choose to study.

The information in this section will help you make an informed decision about whether or not to tell your education provider, if you have any additional learner support needs.


What's considered a 'disability' in UK law?

In 2010 the Equality Act was passed by Parliament.  This law gives all education providers a legal responsibility to make 'reasonable adjustments' for disabled students.


Preparing for Higher Education

Most universities and HE colleges have a specialist team of disability advisers/co-ordinators who can give you confidential advice and guidance.  The following section gives you more information on how to access support. 

What do I do next ?

In order to assess your additional support needs, the university will need to be provided with medical evidence of your disability.  The following section provides an outline of what might be required. 

What support is available?

The best way to receive support at university is to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) as these help to pay for extra study-related costs that you may incur due to your disability.

Support at partner institutions

The Disabled student support services at Sheffield Hallam University and The University of Sheffield provide advice, guidance and support in order to enable students to fully access their course.

Useful links

For more information on Disabled Students’ Allowances:


HEPP has developed an information booklet and some case study videos to provide information and inspiration to disabled leaners who are considering higher education. You can access these below:

Find out more about our partnership >>

Education news