Working in partnership to increase the number of young people progressing to higher education
HeppSY+ is part of a national programme funded by the Office for Students (OfS) to support young people most at risk of missing out on higher education. It stands for Higher Education Progression Partnership South Yorkshire Plus.
HeppSY+ builds on the work of the existing Higher Education Progression Partnership (Hepp) involving Sheffield Hallam University, the University of Sheffield and the South Yorkshire colleges of further education.
Our remit is to work with young people from Year 9 who live in 45 target wards. The evidence shows that higher education participation of young people in these areas is both low and much lower than expected based on GCSE-level attainment.
Please select a ward
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0
An impartial, targeted, collaborative service
We provide impartial information and advice and engage with all higher education opportunities to help young people make the best choices for them individually. When we say ‘higher education’, we mean degree courses at colleges as well as university and also higher or degree level apprenticeships.
Within the 45 target wards we have been asked to focus on, there are
- 102 schools that meet the criteria for our programme
- 20,600 potentially eligible school students
- 4,000 potentially relevant college students
Our objectives by 2020 are to
- double the number of young people accessing higher education from the 45 target wards
- increase progression by black and minority ethnic groups by 20%
- address the under-representation of young men progressing to higher level studies
HeppSY+ programme activity will span three academic years from September 2017 to summer 2020 (subject to review in 2018), supporting
- schools to develop curriculum and higher education progression activities
- young people to explore, develop, build confidence and achieve
- parents and the wider community to find out what opportunities are available
We will be working with education and community partners to build on existing successful initiatives, providing fresh resource for expanding activity and fostering innovation.
HeppSY+ are committed to safeguarding participants, staff and visitors in all its outreach activities with young people. Safeguarding is a priority for the team and we aim to provide effective arrangements to ensure all learners are safe on University premises and where activity is delivered within their usual learning environment.